From these roots there derive many different kinds of behavior. A list of twelve causes of curses that proceed from God is given in (Deut. 27:15-26). God warns Israel: “If you do these things, you’ll come under a curse.”
These can be summed up these main causes:
- Idolatry, false gods and the occult.
- Remember that the occult is the as worshiping false gods.
- It means going to false gods or the servants of false gods for help which we should seek only from the true God.
Look particularly the consequences of idolatry or of the occult as stated by God in (Ex. 20:3-6).
- “Thou shalt have no other gods before me,” (Ex. 20:3).
- “You shall have no other gods before Me” (or beside Me).
- “Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth,” (Ex. 20:4).
- “And changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and four footed beasts, and creeping things,” (Rom.1:23).
- “Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, [worship them] nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth Generation of them that hate me; And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments,” (Ex. 20:5,6).
- “The first commandment with blessing is: “Honor thy father and mother that it may be well with thee.”
Paul points out that it is the first commandment that carries with it a promise of blessing.
- If you fail to honor your parents, you incur a curse upon yourself.
- If that is your condition, you need to repent, change, adjust your attitude and if possible your relationship with your parents.