African masks, shields, statues, etc are used in Occult Healing. Mask, frequently with an elaborate costume as well, is a way of concealing and submerging your own personality and identifying yourselves with a spirit or other supernatural character in dance or drama. African jujus, (shaped like snakes, hands, figures, and other things are also used. Here are a few other items that are used:
- Statues of foreign gods; Buddha, fertility; Crystal stones, peeping stones; Black stones
- Hindu statues of gods and goddesses, snake beetles, etc.
- Egyptian symbols, art and jewelry
Statues and articles of images of Jesus, Mary, Joseph, saints, Rosary beads, metals dedicated to saints and holy people, relics (pieces of bone or objects from dead saints). “In almost all countries then, we meet with something in the nature of prayer counters or rosary beads. “. . . including sculpture of ancient Nineveh, mentioned by Layard, of two-winged females praying before a sacred tree, each holding a rosary. For centuries, among the Mohammedan, a bead string consisting of 33, 66, or 99 beads has been used for counting the names of Allah. Marco Polo, in the thirteenth century, was surprised to find the King of Malabar using a rosary of precious stones to count his prayers. St. Francis Xavier and his companion were equally astonished to see that rosaries were universally familiar to the Buddhists of Japan.
The veneration of dead bodies of martyrs was ordered by the Council of Trent, the Council which also condemned those who did not believe in relics. “The holy bodies of holy martyrs . . . are to be venerated by the faithful, for through these bodies many benefits are bestowed by God on men, so that they who affirm that venation and honor are not due to the relics of the saints are wholly to be condemned, as the Church has already long since condemned and also now condemns them.
Symbols play a vital role to those involved in the New Age Movement. The symbol served both as a form of universal language and a device for helping to reinforce and altered or trance-like state of consciousness. A familiar symbol brings a person a kindred spirit. Since he was taught in his mediation classes to respond emotionally to certain symbols, when he again sees them, a conditioned response is reactivated. Satan uses symbols as a key to unlock the altered or trance-like states of consciousness.
- The unicorn — a mythical horse like animal with a single horn in its forehead.
- A symbol of transformation. Its purpose is a tear, destroys and then renew
- A regeneration symbol New Age ideas of “rebirth” and “transformation” by the acquisition of biblically condemned psychic or “spiritual powers.”
- Pegasus — Gk. Myth Winged flying horse.
- Idolatry (worshiping or esteeming something or someone above the living God, including secret societies): (Jer. 44:8; Dan. 9:11; Jer. 11:3).